Safeguarding Adults

If an adult is vulnerable the No Secrets guidance is followed. The following groups of adults may be defined as vulnerable:

  • People with learning disabilities
  • People with physical disabilities
  • People with mental ill health
  • People with drug or alcohol dependencies
  • People with certain types of physical illness
  • People with dementia
  • People who are frail due to age or other factors
  • People who are homeless

All sexual violence support services offer confidential services but if a vulnerable adult is being abused or likely to suffer abuse, confidentiality can be breached within procedural guidelines.

Area Safeguarding contacts

If you are concerned about the immediate safety of a vulnerable adult the police should be contacted at any time by calling 101 or in emergencies 999.

If you are concerned about abuse taking place in a care home you can call the Care Quality Commission on 0300 616161

Who can you talk to if you suspect someone is being abused

If you’ve encountered an issue and are unsure if it is a safeguarding issue or not you can call and request a consultation with the Safeguarding Triage Team. They can be reached on 01865 328232. This is only for new issues where you are unsure if it is a safeguarding issue.

Professionals who have safeguarding concerns about a person with care and support needs that they are working with, should visit the Oxfordshire Adult Safeguarding Board and complete the online form.

You can also raise a concern on the phone. Please call 0345 0507 666 with as much information as you have. If you need to raise a concern outside of standard office hours and the concern is urgent, please call the Emergency Duty Service on 0800 833 408.

For more information on adult safeguarding visit the Oxfordshire Adult Safeguarding Board.

Keep up to date, sign up to our newsletter

Escape to Google